Wednesday, March 24, 2010

First Steps

We have been ready for this day for so long, and yesterday it happened! Colby took his first steps. He has been so close for a couple of weeks now, and at physical therapy yesterday, he just decided it was time to take off. His physical therapist, Shirley, and I were both in tears. It is just so great to see all of his hard work pay off!

Believe it or not, I captured his first few baby steps on video. I picked up the camera thinking he might possibly walk at some point during the session. I never dreamed he would do it the first time I videoed, though, but he did! By the end of therapy, he had walked several times. One time, he took 10 consecutive steps. Go Colby!! We are so proud of you!






You might have noticed Colby's new big white shoes in the video. His left foot has been rolling in pretty badly, so Shirley had an orthotist come and fit him for his first pair of Sure Steps. These will stabilize his feet and ankles and help correct his alignment. The Sure Steps fit inside his shoes, so he has to wear Extra Wide Shoes. I was worried he would fight us on wearing these, but he hasn't seem bothered at all. These Sure Steps might even be why he was able to take those first steps! We are so glad that Colby has such a great and proactive physical therapist! We are all about fixing small issues before they become big problems.



















3 comments:

The Rietkerk's said...

How Amazing!! That is so great, you must be so proud. Colby is so cute, I loved seeing his first steps!!

Tiffany Lockette said...

So cute. Go Colby!! Just amazing.

Katie said...

What a cutie! Yay Colby!!! I know how excited I was when Maddie finally decided to walk, so I feel your joy! It's a HUGE milestone for these kiddos. So glad he's doing well and thanks for sharing the sweet footage.

Also, wow!!! on how much money you guys raised for Vanderbilt! That's really incredible ;)