Friday, April 1, 2011

Post-Op Day 3 (4/1/11)

No better way to end the day than w/ a wagon ride around the floor with your bottle of Sprite, blanket, chest tube pump box, and vital pack.... Apparently daddy pulls the wagon too slow so this the response I got!

This is how we spent the majority of the day.... Laid back watching Barnyard the movie over and over again..... We also celebrated with a couple of packs of fruit snacks.... Thanks to whoever sent the goody basket today that included fruit snacks. As you can see this is a much happier and content Colby.


Colby continues to convince Becca to climb into the bed w/ him. I hope he does not try that w/ the ladies in high school. The good news is we can still say that neither of our boys have slept in out bed..... unfortunately she can no longer say she hasn't spent the night in his bed....

This is Colby's second granola bar and Sprite of the afternoon. Who would have thought that was the open heart surgery recovery diet?

I must say I have never appreciated the opportunity to sit and hold Colby as much as I have during this hospital stay. There has never been any questions that Colby was momma's boy #2 since he was born. Both our boys for sure love their momma more than life (understandable since she is pretty awesome). Fortunately, I have had several opportunities to hang w/ Colby in my lap and I have obviously taken those moments for granted in the past. I will thank God for all of these moments today and in the future. I think we often forget or don't cherish the little awesome events that we often experience as parents on a regular basis. It's unfortunate that it takes a little open heart surgery for Brody and Colby's dad to remember how awesome those moments are!

Colby got his 2 main chest tubes out this morning. Thankfully the additional chest tube he had to get yesterday cleared up 95+% of the fluid on the right side. Chest films were pretty much clear today. He wanted to take this opportunity to show off all of his recent cosmetic work. He thinks the scars make him cool. I think they make him tough and expensive?

Today was a day full of rest and happy Colby. Thank you Lord! Apparently the Toy Story Crew did something to anger young Colby during surgery or he thinks they performed the surgery b/c he has not cuddled w/ them since the ICU. He has shared in this experience w/ his monkey even sharing his narcotics w/ him this morning.... he has been a little loopy today too.

If Colby sleeps like this for too long he will need some occupational therapy to straighten his wrist back out.....

Thanks again for all of the prayers and many messages of encouragement. We are blessed to be surrounded and supported by so many..... Fortunately, I have cute kids and a hot wife that people like.....

4 comments:

Rachel Peden said...

Thanks for keeping us posted. He is such a tough little boy!! He is in my prayers!

Katie said...

So glad Colby's doing so awesome! Cute post too...happy to hear he's eating and hey, whatever works right!?! He's looking wonderful, a little sad, but truly amazing for just having surgery 3 days ago. What a trooper!

Unknown said...

Thanks for keeping us posted. I just want to come there and kiss his little face off. The Binkley crew is sending a care package via Marye. I hope he enjoyes it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was studying about BT shunt for my exams and came across Colby's pic on Google. I am really moved by his story and wish him all the best. You guys are really strong and amazing.