Thursday, May 29, 2008

March 25, 2008 Our first post

As many of you know, Jason and I went for our ultrasound today. Unfortunately, we received some very scary news along with the normal excitement of finding out the gender. On a happy note, we are having another BOY...without a doubt (you will have to see the picture)!!!! We are very excited to welcome another boy into our family, and I know Brody will be such an amazing big brother. The profile of his face looks just like Brody's ultrasound...I may have another "Mini Jason" on my hands! For our scary news, it turns out that our baby boy has what the doctors call "Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome."

From what I have been able to process, this is a heart defect that has caused the right ventricle to be significantly smaller than the left (the right side did not develop). He is also showing early signs of heart failure. This is of course a very serious risk for our baby...not only while I'm carrying him, but also once he is born. Dr. Crowe, our OB, immediately sent us to a doctor that specializes in reading ultrasounds. He gave us some of the information and statistics on this condition, which was all very hard for me to hear and understand today. His office scheduled an appointment for us to see a Pediatric Cardiologist at Vanderbilt on Thursday...I'm hoping that he will be able to give us even more information.

I'm also hoping that I will be able to process all of the information they are telling me by then. The only things that we know for sure is what the problem is, that we will have to deliver the baby at Vanderbilt (since that is where the Cardiologists are), and that our new baby boy will have to undergo Open Heart Surgery very soon after birth. I think all of the unknowns running through my head right now are the hardest to deal with! Jason and I ask that you please keep us in your prayers. All we can do right now is pray that our baby will stay strong. This has definitely been a very hard day for us! I apologize for not calling or emailing all of you sooner.

I have spent the last couple of hours just trying to wrap my brain around what we are facing. It breaks my heart that our precious new baby will have such a challenging start to his life, but I know that God is with him and will continue to be with him.

Talk to all of you soon,
Becca and Jason

No comments: