Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ready or Not

Colby had an unexpected visit with his cardiologist last Tuesday. He was not scheduled to go until April, but he has had several troubling symptoms over the last few weeks...longer blue spells, shortness of breath, extreme fatigue. I knew something was wrong when he would lay his head on my shoulder and ask to take a "map" (nap) after several minutes of playing. This was breaking my heart to see!!

The appointment went really well. All of his tests (echo, EKG, sats) looked good, but Dr. Doyle did have some concerns with his worsening symptoms. He suggested that we get the ball rolling on his final surgery, so ready or not...it is time for the Fontan Operation.

We have known this time would come, but I don't think this is something we will ever be "ready" for. The thought of him being back in the hospital and enduring another open heart surgery is NOT easy to think about. The thought of being away from Brody for 2-3 weeks is also NOT easy to think about. I catch myself sitting and just worrying about all of the "what ifs." I know this is not what I am supposed to be doing, but it is so hard not to! It is in these times that I have to remind myself that God has taken care of Colby and our family over the last two and a half challenging years, and I have no doubt that God will continue to be with us and carry us through this next trial.

Colby will go in for his Pre-Fontan Cath on Monday, March 14th. That will only require an overnight stay. Pending the results of the cath, he will have his Fontan Operation on Tuesday, March 29th. We have been told that the recovery time for this surgery is around 2 weeks, but it will all depend on how much drainage he has in his chest tubes. Again, it is all of the unknowns that make me a nervous wreck!

For now, we are just continuing to enjoy every second we have with both boys at home, and I am doing the best I can to not dwell on the upcoming surgery and separation from Brody. I would greatly appreciate your prayers for our family over the next several weeks...prayers for peace, faith, strength, and endurance to get through.








1 comment:

Natalie Gossum said...

Awwww, I just love these sweet boys! They are so precious! I didn't realize the surgery would be so soon. We will be praying! Let us know if we can do anything! :) ~natalie