Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kindergarten Christmas Program


The Pre-K and Kindergarten classes at Brody's school put on a Christmas Program. Each class sang a couple of songs, and the Kindergartners recited the poem, "Twas the Night Before Christmas." Each child had about 4 lines to memorize. The class practiced every day for a couple of weeks. Brody was so excited in the weeks leading up to the program. He could pretty much recite the whole poem by himself and tell us who would be saying each line.

Then, the morning of the program arrived. He was okay when he first got up, but when I said it was time to get dressed, he started telling me that he didn't feel well. He said he didn't think he could make it. After confirming that he didn't have a fever, I was pretty sure that he was just nervous. By the time we pulled into the school parking lot, he was white as a sheet and still telling me he didn't feel well. He wasn't even able to eat his breakfast, which is very unlike him!

I dropped him off with his class and then went to the auditorium to get a seat with Jason, my mom, grandmother, and Jason's mom. About 10 minutes later, Brody's teacher came into the auditorium to tell me that Brody had thrown up right outside the auditorium door. I went out to check on him as his classmates took the stage. He was a little shaken up, but he said he still wanted to go on stage and say his lines. I quickly cleaned him up and walked him to the stage.

As I sat in the front row watching him, I could not have been any more proud! Even though he was so nervous that it made him physically sick, he still got up on the stage and said his lines loud and clear. His eagerness to follow through with what he started, despite his anxiety, truly impresses me!

No comments: