Saturday, August 9, 2008

Colby Days 3 and 4

I am so sorry that it has been so long since our last post! The last 2 days have been more of a race than anything...racing to and from the hospital to split our time between Colby and Brody has proven harder than Jason or I ever expected. I think the only time we have actually stopped is to sleep a few hours at night. Luckily, Jason has been great about going to the hospital to check in, even when I can't. At least that way, both our boys have one of us with them. I am truly blessed to have such an amazing husband!
Since I once again don't have much time (I'm playing with Brody at the moment), I will give you all the highlights of our last 2 days...

The biggest and most wonderful thing that has happened is that I was able to hold our little Colby for the first time on Wednesday afternoon!!!! Our awesome nurse, Melissa, was sweet enough to untangle all of his cords so that I could finally hold him. I can't even describe how wonderful this was after 2 very long days!! I could have just held him and stared at him for hours. As an added bonus, I got to give him his very first bottle as I was holding him! In fact, I gave him his first 2 bottles. He wasn't able to eat very much (only about a teaspoon), but he gulped it down! I hope this means he is going to be a great eater like Brody! Jason and I are both so encouraged that he is eating so well!

As far as his seizures are concerned, the doctors seem to think that they were caused by an oxygen deprivation that he experienced in utero 24-48 hours prior to his delivery. A lack of oxygen would explain his low BPP score Monday morning and his lack of movement. There is no way to know why he was deprived of oxygen...they said it could be a number of things. They do know for sure, though, that it is in no way related to his heart defects, which is why it was puzzling them so much. For now, they are going to continue giving him some anti-seizure medication, and we are going to pray that he has no long term damage from the oxygen deprivation or from the seizures!

The cardiologists are pleased with him, which is a true blessing! He does have a murmur, but they seem to think that we will still be able to leave the hospital without any heart intervention yet. We will of course be monitoring Colby very closely in the next few days/weeks/months, but our hope is that we will make it to close to 6 months of age before any open heart surgeries are needed. This will give us time to "fatten" him up and get him nice and strong!!

Colby has also been much more alert the last couple of times we have been with him. He seems to be awake a little more and really kicking his legs and grunting. He is definitely a grunter!! I am so happy to see his beautiful blue eyes!!!




I think that is all of our highlights from the last 2 days. It is hard to remember everything...our life is like a blur right now. We haven't really been given specifics on a discharge date for Colby, but our hope is sometime next week. We will definitely keep all of you posted on this.

Thank you all so much for your love, support, emails/comments, and prayers. Jason and I would not be able to do this alone. I know for sure that the only thing keeping me moving right now is God!

We will definitely post again soon...we won't wait so long like this time!

Becca and Jason




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise Jesus! We will continue to pray for both Colby and both of you guys to have supernatural strength in this busy chaotic time. Precious boy.

Anonymous said...

We've never met....I am friends with Kim T. She shared your story with me months ago and you have stayed on my mind. I just wanted to congratulate you on the birth of beautiful Colby. He is soooooo cute. He will stay in my prayers.