Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pre-Op Appointment

Today was Colby's pre-op appointment at Vanderbilt. It was a very long day, but fortunately, it went very smoothly. There were no surprises with any of his tests, and the surgeon has no major concerns going into the surgery tomorrow. Colby will be the first case in the morning, so we have to check-in at 6:30. His surgery should start around 8 am. We will post updates as we receive them...a nurse should call us regularly from the operating room throughout the surgery.

After meeting with Dr. Christian today, we now know that there are 5 steps for this Bilateral Bidirectional Glenn Operation. She expects the surgery to take around 6 hours. Colby will be on the bypass machine for the entire surgery, but they will only have to stop his heart for 2 of these 5 steps, which will take around 15-20 minutes.

We have had several people ask us to explain exactly what this surgery involves, so I will do my best to post specific details in the next few days.

Please continue to pray for Colby and the medical team caring for him.



Colby reading a book to daddy while Ms. Tina takes his vitals


We agreed for Colby to participate in a Research Study today that looks at the developmental outcomes of children with CHDs. Here they are monitoring his brain response to sounds with an EEG cap.
Nice hair!!!


Taking a quick nap while we waited to see Dr. Christian.

4 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

You don't know me, I am visiting for Cain's blog. I just wanted to say we will be praying for Colby tomorrow. The Glenn is supposed to be the 'easy' one and I sure do hope it is for you!

Our son, Owen, has HLHS. He had his Glenn in April 08 and is now 19 months.

Good luck tomorrow and if we'll be following along! :)

Andrea
http://owensheart.com

Katie said...

Thinking of you tomorrow! Colby's in my prayers...I'll be checking in :) Hugs!

Lasharne said...

Jason & Becca, you guys will be in my thoughts all day and I just know your little guy will do so well during his operation, he seems such a trooper!!
Keep us posted and good luck!

Kara Adams said...

Colby is in my prayers. I know God has his hands on Colby. He is a fighter. I am sure that you will have lots of family with you, but if you need me to bring food or anything, just say the word!
I will checking the blog for updates. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to call.
Many Heart Hugs,
Kara
615-372-9374