Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Feeding Therapy

During Colby's annual check-up with the Neonatal Follow Up Clinic back in August, the nutritionist expressed some concerns with his small weight gain. Since we have tried everything else she can think of, she suggested we go one step further and start feeding therapy. I have to admit that when I first heard this, I was a little frustrated. Okay, a lot frustrated! I just didn't see how this was going to help him gain weight. Furthermore, I didn't see why she was concerned when his pediatrician and cardiologist were not concerned at all. They both agree that yes, he is small, but that may just be the way God made him.


After a lot of thought and discussions with his pediatrician and cardiologist, Jason and I decided to let him try the feeding therapy. Both doctors basically agreed that as long as it doesn't frustrate Colby, then it can't do him any harm. It will probably not help him gain lots of weight, but maybe it will at least help him to develop a more well balanced diet. Like any toddler, right now he is especially fond of hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and sweets.

Our first visit with the feeding therapist was Friday, the 22nd. After this appointment, I was ready to forget the whole idea. I liked his therapist, Katie, but the whole concept annoyed me. We had to fill out a sensory profile on Colby, and she wanted to watch him drink to see if he choked when he swallowed. I basically left there feeling as if they thought I was completely unaware of what was going on with my own child, which really upset me. I mean, if I had noticed any sensory issues or choking problems, I would have signed him up for feeding therapy a long time ago!

After lots of prayer for guidance and peace, though, I did take him back for his 2nd session last Friday, and I am so glad that I did! Colby responded really well to Katie, and he seemed to enjoy his time with her. He ate much better for her this time...the first time, he wouldn't eat anything. He just kept telling her "no." She definitely saw his strong will during that session. Katie even encouraged him to try eating a couple of bites of grits, pepperoni, and hummus, all of which were brand new to him. She is really good with him and moves slowly to get him to first touch the food, then kiss the food, then lick the food, then eat the food. After each step he receives a reward. During this session, she used bubbles as his reward, and he loved that!! Who knows, maybe after his time with Katie, he will be good about trying new foods and eating more vegetables. That would make the weekly therapy sessions worth it, even if he doesn't gain a pound!
Bite of grits...



...reward of bubbles

1 comment:

The Davidson Family said...

The boys are getting so big! They are precious. It's always fun catching up. Tiffany