Friday, January 22, 2010

"Here I Go..."

Colby has made huge progress with his motor skills in the last three weeks. We should have known he would master these skills in his own time...just like everything else! We are so proud of him and how quickly he is "catching up." I heard a quote the other day, and I think it fits Colby perfectly:

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." (Mahatma Gandhi)

Colby may only have "half of a heart"...he may have already endured 2 major heart surgeries with two different incision sites...he may have less strength than other babies his age because of these things...he may even get out of breath doing simple tasks, but none of these things matter to him. He has a determination that is truly inspiring.

We think that if Colby could talk, he would probably be saying something similar to the following:

"not when you want me to but when I decide to...I'm ready now...I think I can...here I go!!!"

Colby started crawling up the steps on January 1st. By January 5th, he was climbing our entire staircase (about 18 steps) by himself. Good thing we kept that baby gate that we used with Brody!

By January 6th, Colby was pulling himself up to a standing position with no problem at all!

Colby "cruised" a couple of steps for the first time by himself on January 7th.

During Colby's last therapy session on January 19th, he had so much fun using a walker to help him walk. It is so impressive that after only a week and a half of "cruising," he is walking and pushing toys great!

By the end of his therapy session, he was feeling really good about walking. He even decided he was ready to let go of the walker with one hand to wave. He is going to be walking around everywhere before we know it, and we can't wait!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

OH guys what a blessing! I had chills while reading your post! I sure love these little guys and Colby is a little miracle and seems to just be chugging along! He has the sweetest smile and his heart is SO BIG! Not only is he precious, he is so sweet! I can't wait to see them again! I am so proud of you Colby!!!!!!

The Rietkerk's said...

Wow, look at him go. That is so amazing. What a cutie!!!!!