Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cardiology Appointment

Colby had his 6 month post Glenn Operation follow-up appointment with the cardiologist on Tuesday afternoon. I was so nervous going into the appointment, but as the nurse was taking his vitals, I realized that I had no reason to be nervous! Colby is doing great...unbelievably great! His sats are in the low 80s, which is really good for him.

After Dr. Doyle examined him and confirmed that he is doing well, we discussed that dreaded topic of his next surgery. We originally thought that he would undergo the Fontan Operation this Fall. With him doing so well, though, Dr. Doyle feels we should wait and do it next Spring. This will give him another full year to continue growing and getting stronger. This is great news, but it is also kind of hard news for me. This surgery has become like a dark cloud lingering over my head, and now that dark cloud will linger for a few months longer. If waiting is best for Colby, though, that is what we will do.

Colby loves when the doctor or nurse listens to his heart. He studies every move they make. When Mary Beth (his nurse) was listening, he even grabbed it and placed it on his belly and chest for her.

Brody wanted Dr. Doyle to listen to his heart too, so he pulled up his shirt and waited patiently. Dr. Doyle is so sweet that he did take a minute to listen. Jason and I were very relieved when he said, "Everything sounds normal." Thank goodness! That would have been a surprise that we did not want!



I told Jason that we should plan our first Disney Trip for next Fall to celebrate the end of Colby's surgeries. I think the timing is perfect! Brody will have just turned 5, and Colby will have just turned 3. We will have lots to celebrate!







I love my silly boys!

3 comments:

Katie said...

So glad for the wonderful report. 6months seems so long inbetween appointments, doesn't it!?! Glad to hear you have a while before the Fontan but I know EXACTLY how you feel. It seems that we can get on with life after that's over with. I love that Colby was so helpful with the nurse. How cute. Wished Maddie enjoyed her appointments a little more!!!

Jennifer said...

Oooh, Colby! We are so happy you are doing so well. Hugs all day long...

The Clinkscales Family said...

What wonderful news!!!! I was about to head to bed and thought I would check your blog first. This put a huge smile on my face. So glad the appointment went so well. Sounds like Cain and Colby are planned to have their Fontan around the same time. We were also told the Spring of next year. I understand the looming dark cloud statement. We felt the exact same way.