Friday, May 6, 2011

Staying Sane Through Insane Times

Ever since Colby's diagnosis, 3 years ago, Jason and I have obviously had some additional worries and stress to deal with. There are really no words to describe the life-changing effect the last 3 years have had on us. Jason is definitely stronger than me and rarely allows himself to get worried or stressed, but even he has faced some trying times. To deal with all that we have and continue to go through, Jason bought a bicycle in the summer of 2009 (after Colby turned 1) and started cycling. He immediately was hooked and soon upgraded his bike. Since then, there hasn't been many weeks in the last almost two years where he hasn't ridden at least four days a week, even through the winter when he rides his trainer in our garage. Most weeks he rides more like 5 or 6 days, except of course when we are in the hospital! He absolutely loves cycling, and I am pretty sure he is in the best shape he has been in several years. I love seeing him with a hobby that he loves and makes him so happy!! I also love that he is setting such a great example for our boys. I guess there's no question why Brody loves riding his bike so much. He always has wanted to be just like daddy!




























Jason competed in his first bike race in September 2009. I was so impressed and proud of him for training so hard and doing so well in that first race. He then really shocked me when he signed up for a Century Race, which he did in June 2010. A Century is 100 miles of riding!!! This was not a flat and easy course, either. From what he said, it sounded like 100 grueling miles. He finished it successfully and did great! I really don't even remember him complaining too much about being sore either, which really impresses me!! He always amazes me with his abilities, though. I often joke with him about being good at anything he tries...he is just a natural at everything. In September of last year, he competed in his third bike race, and again, he did really well. After doing a 100 mile race successfully, though, I didn't expect anything less! I am so proud of him and can't wait to go cheer him on at his next race in June.







Seeing Jason so happy and enjoying his new hobby so much definitely inspired me. I wish I had followed his example sooner, but of course with my "mommy guilt" of taking time away from the boys, I did not start until late last Spring. A group of girls from church, led by Jennifer Anglin, started a running group that met every Saturday morning to run together. I had not run since college, and the only reason I ran then was because I was forced to by my cheerleading coach. Running was not an activity that I particularly enjoyed, or so I thought! I, like Jason, quickly became hooked, though, and I signed up for my first half marathon...the Women's Half in the Fall of last year. I knew if I had a goal and a time frame, I was more likely to continue my new hobby. I completed that half in 2:12, which I was pretty proud of, considering it was my first one. After that race, the group that met on Saturdays kind of fell apart. Everyone was ready for a break, including me. I took a couple of months off, but I quickly realized that I missed and needed running! Running helps me relieve stress, takes my mind off my worries for a short time, and it gives me the energy and strength that I need to face life's daily challenges.

Once again, God sent me another wonderful person at just the right time to get me moving. This time, the person was our neighbor and friend, Earl. Earl is an amazing runner and has competed in several marathons, triathlons, and even an ironman. I was very intimidated to run with him for the longest time, but I am glad that I finally agreed. He has truly been a great encourager, coach, and running partner. He got me running 3 to 5 times a week and enjoying every second of it. In order for me to run and Jason to ride during the week, we have to be flexible with our schedules. Usually, I will get up and run with Earl about 4:30 or 5 in the morning, and then Jason will ride with his group about 5:30 or 6. I have had several people tell me I'm crazy for getting up so early, but that is really the best and only time for me to get it in. On mornings where I oversleep or don't feel well enough to get up and moving, I regret it the rest of the day. I have really come to love and depend on those early morning runs to clear my head and motivate me for the day. On Saturdays, we have been paying one of Earl and Terri's amazing daughters, Lucy or Maggie, to come and sit with our sleeping boys as early as 5:30 AM...just so we can both get our long run and ride in before the boys wake up. We obviously love the Donaldson Family and are so grateful to them for helping us stay sane over the last year!!!!


With Jason and Earl's encouragement, I registered for the Country Music Half Marathon last December. That gave me four months of good training before taking on my second Half at the end of April. However, as you know, Colby's surgery got moved up unexpectedly and my training cut way short. Not knowing if I would be able to do the Country Music or not, Jason suggested that I go ahead and do another local Half Marathon, the Tom King, which was the Saturday before Colby's cath procedure. I had only done one long run of 10 miles and wasn't really prepared, but I went ahead and ran it (with Earl's help) and finished in 1:57...15 minutes faster than my first one! I was so happy to get a Half Marathon in and see good results before going through the stress of another surgery and hospital stay.


During Colby's surgery and recovery, I missed about three weeks of running. I was ready to back out of the Country Music Half and wait until next year, but with Jason's encouragement (or pushing!), I did it! He dropped me off the morning of the race in the midst of over 30,000 people. I was a nervous wreck! It's funny how I can feel so in charge and grown when I'm facing any challenge with my kids, but when I'm facing a personal challenge and I'm by myself, I feel like a scared little girl! With a lot of prayer and thoughts of my boys, I finished this race in 2:03. This course was much harder (lots of hills) and I had not been running, so I was happy with my time, even though it was not as good as my Tom King finish. I am actually really excited about doing some more races in the future and maybe even getting faster. Who knows, maybe there will eventually be a full marathon in my distant future. This will probably have to wait until the boys are a little older and I can dedicate more time to running, though.


Running really has helped keep me sane, and I think Jason would say the same about his riding. With everything we have faced and will face in the future, I am glad that we both have found something that we love and helps us manage our stress and worries.

No comments: