Thursday, August 29, 2013

Colby's Cardiology Checkup

Colby had his 6 month cardiology check up on August 13th.  Believe it or not, going to "his hospital" for his cardiology appointments is one of his favorite things to do.  He absolutely loves all of the nurses, especially Mary Beth, and loves Dr. Doyle.  Watching him just roll with all of the assessments that they have to do is amazing.  He is no longer phased by any of it!  

Everything looks good at this point except for his sats (oxygen saturation), which were a little lower than they should be.  Since his Fontan, his sats have been in the mid to upper 90s, and at this visit, they were around 87.  Dr. Doyle isn't overly concerned at this point, because Colby is having no major symptoms.  We will be returning for another check up in February, and if his sats are still lower than "normal," then Dr. Doyle will need to schedule a cath to find out what could be causing the lower sats.  The problem (if there is one) could be any number of things.  

I wish I could say that I haven't worried about the endless possibilities of what is causing lower sats, but I cannot.  As a mom, and especially as a heart mom, I worry way more than any person should.  I have good days and bad days in regard to thinking about what the near and far future holds for Colby.  There is always that deep fear in the back of my mind that something else could go wrong with his half of a heart.  

Today, though, I'm not letting that fear take over!  Today, I am thankful for the health that Colby is experiencing right now.  I'm thankful that he went to Kindergarten today excited about being the line leader and getting to share his Disney World photo book for show and tell.  I'm thankful that he doesn't truly understand all that he has endured in his first three years of life.  I'm thankful that his biggest worry is whether or not he will get another lego set or another spiderman to play with.  I'm thankful that he is unbelievably happy all of the time!  Today, I am thankful!  

I have no idea what tomorrow might bring, but none of us do.  I will trust in God's plans and do my best to enjoy every second I am given with my beautiful family.  I will also do my best to not worry and dwell on the "what ifs" that enter my thoughts.  "Who of  you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:27  "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

No comments: