Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Looking Good...Just Not Eating

After Karen spoke with Dr. Liske about Colby this morning, they decided that he should come in to be checked out. They did an echo and EKG, which both looked good. His sats are still around 85, so that is great! Dr. Liske examined him, and he is confident that Colby is doing well. So, there is nothing medically wrong keeping him from eating. Apparently, he is just not wanting to eat right now. Dr. Liske assured us that this is not a problem. He feels that this might just be a developmental issue, meaning he is behaving like other "normal" babies and wanting more solid foods and less milk.

Dr. Liske has just instructed us to continue trying more and more high fat/ high calorie solid foods and not obsess over the number of ounces of milk that he is drinking. Ha! Easier said than done! This is going to be extremely hard for me!!! I have written down every ounce that has gone into Colby's mouth since he was born. I honestly could look back and tell you exactly how many ounces he drank on any given day. I know it seems crazy, but it helped me in some way. Of course, it also stressed me out, since I always knew the days he didn't eat "enough."

I have also been told to not take Colby for any more weight checks until his cath procedure on July 15th. Wow! That is an entire month before he will be weighed again. This just seems crazy to me, because I have taken him in for weight checks every 1-2 weeks since bringing him home from the hospital. How will I ever make it?

I guess these instructions from Dr. Liske are good for us, especially me. Obsessing and constant weighing is not going to help anything. I have to let go, relax some, and realize that I am not in control!! God is in control, and He will continue to take care of our monkey, just like He has over the last 10 months.

I wish I could tell you that we will be doctor appt free until his cath, but I can't. Colby has a follow up appointment with his neurologist on Tuesday of next week. I am not sure what to expect from this appointment, but I am hoping that it is problem free. It should be a simple exam to make sure he is not suffering any complications from the seizures he had when he was born. We will keep you posted!

4 comments:

The Rietkerk's said...

I know how you feel about the weight issues. It can be really frustrating. They are sending us home with a scale to monitor Lucas' weight daily before his Glenn, I am going to drive myself crazy. We are keeping you guys in our prayers as your little guy prepares for his cath.
Michelle

Katie said...

So sorry for your stressful days...I can SO RELATE!!!! Must be "the thing" right now to not gain weight with our kiddos, hmmm....

I'm so glad that Colby checked out great at his appt. and your docs advice is probably the best. Just relax and try to enjoy this next month. I did stop the feeding log on January 22nd...Maddie was just 10 months old so maybe it's time?!? Our card's advice was the exact same and she insisted that I stop recording everything because it was only driving me NUTS and Maddie had proved she was doing well, regardless of how many ounces she was taking in a day. It was the big picture that she wanted to look at and for me to start treating her like a normal baby, with her giving me signs of when she was hungry, etc. She didn't know what that felt like since she was "force fed" since birth! Almost 5 months later now, she's not a big eater but she does chow down (little bits at a time) when she does eat. I don't have to force her anymore and when it's her idea, it's much more successful! It was a HUGE relief and load off of me too when I quit obsessing over every calorie and every ounce.

Hang in there...those little guys are just the cutest and YOU are doing an excellent job as their mother. Colby is one lucky little guy to have you as his heart mommy :) There will be better days and you're so right, God is in control and this is just a little reminder of that!

Hugs to you friend,
Katie

Kristy said...

As always praying for you all! they are just too sweet!

You're a fabulous mom and when God picked you for this job he knew what he was doing. Keep faith in that!

Blessing to you all!
Kristy

The Clinkscales Family said...

So good to see you yesterday. I wish it had been under different circumstances but so thankful that everything checked out okay. You are correct...God is in control and has taken great care of our kiddo's thus far and he always will. I read your other comments and so happy to see all the support you have. I wish I could do more to make your worries go away. I can promise you I'll will keep praying hard for you, Jason, Colby and Brody. I agree with Katie...Colby is so lucky to have you as him mommy!!
Catherine