Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Seriously????

Well, I took Colby for a weight check on Monday of this week. I went in to that office just knowing that he had gained several ounces and would finally weigh 16 lbs. Boy was I wrong! Our little monkey had lost 2 oz in 2 weeks! He now only weighs 15 lb 4 oz. What in the world is going on???? He is now taking 27 cal/oz bottles, which is up 3 cal/oz, and he is eating a lot of table food. He eats so much more table food than Brody ever did at this age. How could he have lost weight?!? I absolutely fell apart in front of the nurse. All of the stress and frustration just finally got to me, and I just lost it. Fortunately, she understood and was very sweet about it. I got myself together to leave, but I then lost it again as soon as Jason answered his phone. I just feel so unbelievably defeated and clueless about what to do!

After speaking with our nutritionist, we decided to try another additive in his bottles...beneprotein, which is a protein powder. His bottles will now include the breast milk, corn oil, polycose powder (carbohydrate), and beneprotein. This will raise his caloric intake to 29 cal/oz. I have ordered the beneprotein, so we will have to wait a few days before trying that. The bad part is, though, that now he is not wanting to eat at all. I'm not sure how much good adding calories is going to do when he is not eating! Yesterday, he only took in 4 1/2 ounces by 6:30 pm. The pediatrician tells me he needs 24 oz in a day, but he is barely getting 15 oz these days!

As I was typing this post, the nurse from our cardiologist's office called me back. I had called her to see what we should do with this monkey! At what point should we really worry about his lack of appetite? I don't want him to continue losing weight in the weeks leading up to the Glenn Operation. She does seemed concerned that a 10 month old has no hunger at all, so she is going to discuss it with Dr. Liske and call me back. So, for now, we just have to wait and see what they decide. I am just glad that Colby seems to be so happy still. This would be so much harder on me if he were miserable. He is still his giggly self...thank goodness.

I took the boys to the pool yesterday to relax, have fun, and to stop thinking about the awful weight check. I am glad that I did, because we all had a blast. I have included some pics below. These precious smiling faces are what keep me sane, or at least as sane as I have ever been : ).















I do have some good news to share about Cain! He seems to be doing much better now. This morning, he has even been smiling at everyone! Hopefully his smiles and improvements will continue. You should check out his adorable smiles on their blog!

No comments: