Friday, May 6, 2011

A Scary Morning

Tuesday was a little bit of a scary morning for us. While sitting at the breakfast table, Colby coughed. Immediately after the cough, he started crying hysterically. He cried non-stop for about 30 minutes before finally calming down in my arms. During those 30 minutes of crying, so many thoughts rushed through my head. Did he have a fluid build up around his lungs? Was something wrong with his heart? Seeing him in that much pain took me back to the first few days after surgery. I was worrying myself sick, so I decided the best thing to do was call his cardiologist. As I suspected, they told us to bring him in for a chest x-ray. I'm guessing they had the same worries that I did about the fluid build up. So, we went straight to Vanderbilt to wait for his x-ray. Fortunately, the boys were on their best behavior, even though I was totally unprepared for a long wait at the hospital...no toys, DS, games, or snacks.

As always, Jason was the calm and rational one telling me not to worry and that he was fine. After the x-ray and Mary Beth (Dr. Doyle's nurse practitioner) listening to his heart, I have never been more happy to call Jason and tell him that he was right!!! The x-ray showed no fluid and his heart sounded exactly as it should. Praise God! Mary Beth thinks that he might have pulled or stretched some of the extensive scar tissue he is developing in a funny way, which caused him a great deal of pain. After thinking back on my C-section recovery, I can totally relate. I can remember getting random pains around my incision for weeks after the surgery. I hope that Colby doesn't get many more of these pains, but if he does, at least we know he will be okay. As my dad said to me right after Colby's surgery, "time heals all."

1 comment:

Dr. Ordon plastic surgeon said...

You have to deal with your pain and treat it asap to take care of your boy.There is a lot of medical help like an x-ray or an MRI could read the body and the treatments also advanced.Wish you the best.